Skip to main content

The aftermath is MESSY

We are on the road to recovery! 

Physically, Xavier is improving daily with his regular physio and pure determination only a child possesses. He is learning to walk again and use his left side, all while building back the muscle he lost. He has at least another month of treatment left, but we are so fortunate we can manage it at home and at a dose that causes fewer side effects than he faced last month. 

Xavier is determined and I admire that in children. The lack of self-pity in kids we have seen on his cancer ward are so inspiring. Instead they use that energy to heal, and set goals for recovery.  

Still there are residual symptoms that are concerning. He is choking on liquids more frequently, suffering from reflux and is unable to move his toes on his left foot. Seems minor but as he tries to walk now his toes curl under his foot and trip him. Who knew how important straightening your toes are! 

But the lingering side effect of treatment is always the emotional scars. We know because we have done this before. The aftermath is messy. And it is much harder for others to understand when on the outside things are looking good. 

It started with my daughter. When the dust settled and the height of our chaos was over, she fell first. The uncontrollable tantrums. The inability to play with her peers and her low self-confidence. This all followed months of sleepless nights, fearing her brother was dying. 

Then I fell. After months of holding it together and staying strong for the family I reached my limit. My energy level diminished and I just want to sleep all day. I have no interest in socializing and it's so much work just to move my body. Then the flashbacks. No matter how much I try to push them out of my head, the traumatic events, the devastating words from the doctors keep replaying in my head. The emotions associated with them are exhausting me. 

Now Xavier is showing signs. It happened before. It starts with the nightmares, his own flashbacks of the medical trauma. He wakes up angry and unable to go back to sleep. The memories haunt him at dark. He becomes increasingly angry (this time not from the steroids) but the surmountable emotions flowing within him he cannot explain. He worries. A lot. He worries he will never get better. He worries he will have surgery again.  

I just wish I could take the pain away. 

We are still grieving our old normal as we try to accept once again our new normal. I often find myself longing for May when everything was great and Xavier just learned to ride his bike without training wheels. I look at him now. Fragile. Barely able to walk let alone ride a bike. 

But I tell myself, we will get there! We have done it before and we will do it again. He will surprise his doctors with his recovery once again and life will be even more beautiful than before because of the bonds and lessons learned from this experience. We only get better! There is no other direction. 





Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hugs and lots of love, Carla. You are all very strong and brave. Let me know if there's ever anything I can do to help. (Karen YK)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding the fire

Buried deep within my soul is a fire. It burns slowly; smouldering inside me day after day. I long for the day when this fire rages again. Like it used to before I smothered it with life. Before kids, before mortgages, bills, illnesses and medical interventions, there was something else on my mind. It was fuelled by almost everything around me and grew stronger with every use. This was something that took me through dark spiralling tunnels, across cobalt blue seas with purple monkeys swimming and up mossy green mountains that whispered cool breezes. It sparked all my  senses and tugged at my heart. It sent shivers down my spine and excitement in my belly. And sometimes it paid. My creativity was ignited by an imagination as unique as every snowflake that falls. The words came to me, the stories flowed and the imagery made sense. I created eloquent editorial and powerful prose. But somehow along the way I lost my creative spirit. I pushed it away. I pushed it down. I pushed d

In a perfect world this stuff wouldn't matter

As our family anxiously awaits Xavier's surgery date, we are struggling with the range of emotions associated with another hospital stay. Unfortunately, the sad and most stressful part of it all is the feeling of having to rush back to work. Not because we want to, but because we have to. Even with the latest addition to Employment Insurance for parents caring for critically ill child, it is restrictive and difficult to qualify (like most programs to get money from the government). And it is only up to 55% of our wage (although I would take what I can get). Then there is Short Term Disability through work. Again, very challenging to get and the constant inference from the insurer is almost not worth the effort of applying. Plus, it is not my disability. It is my son's. I am not sick. However, I could argue the emotional toll it has on my psyche affects my productivity at work. And the last option: to use up all of my sick days, all of my vacation days and all of my leui

Kids need to be kids - even with cancer

No one wants to see their child hurt. But when you have a child with a serious medical condition, seeing your child in pain can often be a frequent occurrence. Physical pain is one thing - emotional suffering is another- one I had little experience with until recently. (Yes, I am struggling, so that's why I am writing!) When Xavier was initially diagnosed and treated for brain cancer, he was a baby. He couldn't talk, express his feelings or even remember the trauma he suffered. Now, he is older, smarter and more thoughtful - yet too young to understand. About a month ago we started to see a change in Xavier. He was different. His sleep patterns changed, he was lethargic and other symptoms arose that concerned us. An MRI was immediately scheduled, followed by appointments with multiple doctors. A lumbar puncture has now been scheduled. I am not concerned they will find more cancer. I am not worried there is anything physically wrong. What has me scared and heart broken i